Senior Database Administrator (DBA)
Responsible to review database server health and performance and make appropriate recommendations for capacity planning as well as performance improvements. Additionally, to provide the vision and direction for improvements to the database design and features such as table partitioning and encryption.
- Installation, configuration, upgrade, and migration of Windows and SQL Server.
- Implement solutions for database backup and recovery infrastructure.
- Perform database storage and capacity planning.
- Monitor performance issues on all production and non-production databases (as applicable) implementing performance monitoring and trending on all production and applicable non-production databases with tools.
- Provide monthly reports to management on performance on production databases, including any performance exceptions and all requested performance data in a summarized, easy-to-read format.
- Design, document, and implement performance enhancing hardware, OS, or database configuration changes to improve performance using performance data collected to verify performance improvements.
- Build operational Operations and Maintenance checklists to maintain the service (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly); build Standard Operating Processes (SOPs) associated with service checklists.
- Monitor and compare network and resource utilization of SQL servers for abnormalities.
- Document SQL standards.
- Work closely with internal teams such as sales, development, QA, IT and implementations and external clients on complex system changes.
- Collaborate with business partners to resolve any database policy compliance and vulnerability issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
Minimum Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) from an accredited college or university plus a minimum of four (4) years of experience in the specific or related field. Or High School Diploma or equivalent plus a minimum of eight (8) years of experience in the field.
- Recent experience working as DBA.
- 3+ years of experience with Microsoft SQL design and development, included but not limited to queries, data structures, stored procedures, and indexing.
- Proficiency with Microsoft SQL 2008+, T-SQL, and SSMS/SSIS/SSRS.
- Thorough working knowledge of ETL processes with a broad range of transforming data from various sources.
- Competent in performance-tuning, query optimization and security of the database.
- Windows Server OS experience including hardware and performance monitoring preferred.
- Understanding of virtual machines (VMware, Hyper-V…) and how they affect SQL Server performance a plus.
- Knowledge of data warehouse/BI solutions.
- Knowledge of Cloud based servers and infrastructure, a plus.
- Knowledge of Software as a Service (SaaS), a plus.
Other Skills: Excellent organizational and planning skills. Strong project management skills. Strong problem-solving, decision-making and analytical skills. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills – a team player who can effectively partner with all levels of the company. Detail oriented and organized. Ability to handle numerous project and assignments simultaneously. Ability to work independently and be self-motivated by the work. Must work well under pressure, be flexible and meet deadlines.
Language Ability: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to facilitate meetings and effectively present information to top management, other key personnel and external clients. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, or members of the business community.
Math Ability: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers in the course of daily job duties. The vision requirements include close vision. Significant mental stress may be incurred due to time deadlines, pressures and demands from both internal and external sources.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to HR@trellance.com.